Gaining Entry to Spain

by admin on September 30, 2013

If you’re keen to taste the tapas, sip sangria and dance to flamenco, then you’re going to need a visa to enter Spain. For some nationalities, this is easy, for others it might require a bit of footwork.Visiting Beautiful Spain

The Schengen Agreement

The Schengen area has no border checks between countries, so if you’re traveling to Spain from one of the following, you will not need to worry about applying for a visa beforehand:

  • Any European Union countries (excluding Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom)
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

If you are from outside of Europe, you may stay in Spain for no more than 90 days under the Schengen Agreement. If you are a citizen of one of the Schengen countries, then you may stay in Spain for as long as you wish.

Who From Outside Europe Can Get in Visa Free?

Nationals from the following countries can visit the Schengen area (and therefore Spain), without the need to apply for a visa:

  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Macedonia
  • Malaysia
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United States
  • Uruguay
  • Vatican City
  • Venezuela
  • Hong Kong
  • Macau

If you have entered in the Schengen area in this way, remember, you must leave the entire area after 90 days. You can not simply leave Spain and enter a neighboring country such as Portugal and Spain, and expect to be allowed to return to Spain immediately. It’s highly important to ensure you gain an entry stamp at your first place of entry, and an exit stamp at the place you leave the Schengen area, otherwise you may have issues on subsequent visits.

Making Money Whilst in Spain

Some of the above counties citizens are lucky enough to be able to work, to earn some spending money while in Spain. Those countries are:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Mauritius
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Seychelles

However, you still need to leave after 90 days, so don’t think you can’ just move to Spain and work for years without obtaining a proper visa. This is merely a way for travelers to make some money for about 3 months.

What If None of These Applies to Me?

If you do not belong to any of the above nationalities, you will have to obtain a visa. For example, a Thai national trying to obtain a Schengen visa at the Spanish Embassy in Bangkok would have to fulfill the following requirements:

  • Passport with at least 6 months validity
  • Travel insurance that covers at least 30, 000 Euros worth of expenses
  • A round trip ticket (either directly to Spain, or in and out of a Schengen country)
  • Financial documents proving the applicant has sufficient funds for travel
  • Documents to do with the tourist intended reason for visiting Spain (could be tours, business reasons or visiting friends).

If you are from a country which is not allowed visa free entry to Spain and the Schengen member countries, it will probably take around 15 days after lodging your application to get approved.

This post was prepared by Archie, a blogger with wanderlust. He helps out at the Hunt Migration blog, where you can find loads of information for gaining business visas, as well as visas for other situations.

Comments on this entry are closed.